Monday, February 6, 2012

One Person's Trash Is Another's Treasure

My weekend began with a Friday field trip to look at some circa 1800's heart pine, salvaged from Charleston's second oldest synagogue.  A friend is renovating the historic building into apartments and giving me a great deal on the lot of heart pine for an upcoming project.  Although dirty in the picture, it is still gorgeous!  Some of those thick pieces are 8" thick by 20' long.  My imagination has been running wild with ideas!  

Below, the actual structure and the heart pine that will remain intact.

My weekend seemed to keep to a theme.  After my visit to see the wood, I attended a party Friday night in a warehouse.  This warehouse will soon be converted to The Alley, which is sure to be Charleston's best bowling alley!  A friend is opening it, and he hosted an appreciation party Friday night for friends.  A few folding tables, some tubs of beer, and a basketball goal set up in a big warehouse space made for one hell of a party!  Surely, a sign of good times to come in that place!

Coming soon to Columbus Street between King & Meeting Streets, Downtown Charleston...



Saturday night, I ended up at a new bar downtown, The Royal American, that dubs itself as a "dive" bar with cheap beer and food.  Set in an industrial feeling building, the interior design boasts layers of salvaged pieces.  If you can think of it, it was repurposed in that space.  It is obvious that thought was put into how the items were reused because it is a successful example of "dive bar chic".  Yes, I just made up that term, but it fits it perfectly!





I hope all of you had a nice weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment